Friday, May 1, 2009

My Nana's here......

Every since I was little, I have loved one woman so much in my life. She is my Nana, little Lucy Harper. All 5 feet nothing, with that rolly little belly. She has always been an amazing grandmother, friend and source of joy. Nana will be 93 in September, and she looks terrific. A few years ago her eyesight began to deteriorate due to Macular Degeneration. Her love for reading jumped from reading a book in a day, to listening to them on tape. Her abiltity to play the organ diminished, as she can no long see the keys. However, she muddles her way through things like playing cards...we don't know how she does it. I only get to see her but once or twice a year, but those times are so special, and this time she is here for 4 days!

Funny story, she is teaching my kids phrases in Dutch. She grew up in a PA Dutch community, and while her short term memory lacks at times, she has a great handle on the past. My kids think it's great to learn new phrases from Great Nana that truly no one on earth would imagine them saying! I don't even know how to spell the things they say :)

Can't wait to hear what Dutchy-dunaveta phrases she brings with her this time......



post signature

1 comment:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

Here we go again. My 'Nanny', 5 foot nothin', passed away at 90. We all just mooned over her. She was the greatest woman alive. Could tell her childhood stories like it was yesterday, but would point at one of her great grandkids and say...'Colleen, is this your baby?' (there was 3 in a row, so cut her some slack)lol.

She used to speak Italian to my kids...while she was chasing them with her shoe...and I don't know that it was something I would have wanted them to repeat....haha!