Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Decade.....where have 10 years gone?

When I heard the words New Decade on New Year's Eve, it struck me. Really? 10 years has gone by since Y2K? Where did it go? What a flash......I stood there for a minute (in a crowded room of people) and paused to reflect on those 10 years at first thinking, gosh, what have I done in them.....what could I do better......what do I need to get on my knees and thank God for? I must have paused for longer than a minute, because I remember seeing my friend look at me and wondering if I was okay.......guess my face must have told the story of highs and lows.

Going back I remember.....
2000 - Raising a 2 year old, working in a hospital as a secretary and realizing that nursing was where I would be someday, losing a baby, excitement over my parents new "getaway" in New Bern.

2001 - Madison arrives! Losing my dear Poppop, leaving Salisbury, MD and moving back to PA, living near family, meeting Debbie, 9/11, BSF, baking cookies (for a business I thought I might try), driving the "woody".

2002 - Finding out we were moving to Long Island and how far away it seemed, Losing Maw-Maw on my dad's birthday, driving to Augusta, GA and back in 2 dayswith mom and dad to see the Masters and Matt, moving in with my parents for a month with 2 kids and a dog, finally moving to LI, discovering the beach was only 20 minutes away, meeting Amie.

2003 - Starting a play group with 6 other women and their kids every Thursday, my new friends Maria & Jon, Jordan starting Kindergarten, playing soccer and the start of a job as a waitress to get out a little and make a little cash.

2004 - Working, raising 2 kids, gaining independence, starting to question where life would lead, growing lonier and stronger all at the same time, Madison starting preschool, Matt & Melissa's wedding when reality finally struck, the beginning of the end.

2005 - 25" of snow, shovelling out to go to Jordan's football banquet in a state of emergency, skiing with Brian & Jen, finding out we were going to be moving back to PA, more distance, a cruise to "celebrate" 10 years of marriage, the "solidification" of it all, the worst Mother's day ever, Dianna Liemeux, counseling, driving to Pam's for 4 days of reckoning, having Mom & Aunt Wendy there, changing my life forever. Watching half of the house move away, Starting classes for nursing school, Chicago, Matt & Elaine's wedding, the emotional roller coaster losing someone I no longer loved, and then losing someone I thought would never stop loving me, moving to the yellow house.

2006 - Getting through January, 3 more classes for nursing school, setting the plan in motion to get to NC, Maria's baby, Amie's walks, talks, coffee and caring; buying a house, finalizing a divorce, announcing to the kids that we were moving away, saying goodbye. Hello Charlotte, NC. New kittens. Angie and Dean. Jim, that strapping NYer that stole my heart at the pool on sunny afternoon, and rode his bike around the neighborhood to find me and ask me to dinner. Camping. New schools, Madison starts Kindergarten. Nursing school begins. Charleston. A drive to NY to meet the Garfields, see Jim's home town.

2007 - Disney world and the greatest surprise my kids ever had. Engaged on May 4th,with Matt and Elaine. Wedding plans in full swing. Flying to NY to visit our old friends. Nursing school consuming me. MARA. Buying land in the NC mountains. Jim's new job.

2008 - Graduation, and giving the class speech. Puerto Rico - surpassing any and all expectations. Marrying the love of my life. Passing the boards. Chopping off all my hair. Starting my new job. Loving my life. Out with the lesbo-mobile, in with the Pathfinder. A legal battle. Moving Jim in and watching him flourish as a husband and father. Going to Elevation. Dominic!

2009 - Starting to volunteer at Elevation, watching the kids grow into amazing little people. Praying for them. Ocean Isle. Middle school. Mike and Lisa and their girls. Selling Jim's house! Trying out a weekender position at work. Leadership Council. Samantha! Losing Nana at 93. Girls on the Run and a 5K.

2010 - Going back to nights, being a weekend stunk. Elaine's surgery. Jordan's heels. My toe (lol!). Boston and meeting Laurie. Charlotte United. Making Middle School football. Jordan's first girlfriend. Breaking a wrist. Madison growing stronger, accepting Christ and being on the big screen. Half Marathon.

So much to be thankful for, so much to do better.....if it weren't for all the ups and downs, life would have been pretty boring. Looking forward to an amazing new decade to grow and learn. Thanks for indulging me and reading my memoir ;)

post signature

1 comment:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

I love your memoir! I have read it seceral times. Look at all you have accomplished this past decade! I am so proud of you for being so brave and strong. I truly miss you my friend. xoxoxox