Monday, June 28, 2010

Bahstan

Everyother year, Jim and I are planning on going on a couple's only vacation - not that we don't love the kids, or want to experience amazing things with them, it is just good to get away, just the two of us. My parents did this, and I think it was good for all of us, and set a fine example how to make your marriage work better. Fear not for the kiddos, we are still doing extended weekends or day trips with them to make their summer complete!

I wanted to go somewhere that neither of us had ever "really" been to before. My parents tell me I was in Boston when I was little - I have no recollection. Jim was there for business, but didn't "see" much! So, off we went. Plus, in my opinion, going to somewhere tropical, when the weather is equally as tropical as Charlotte, doesn't make sense. I want to go tropical when it is chilly in NC.

Boston was amazing! First of all, I found this banging deal on Hotwire.com for a 4 star hotel in downtown - got a 52% discount per night!! I was expecting a room overlooking the A/C units, but much to my delight, we got a corner room on the 20th floor overlooking the river, pool deck, and City skyline. Score!

It was chilly when we were there, and I am not going to lie to you, I didn't pack well. Jim gave me a B- for packing, A+ for location/activites. I'll take it! Had to promptly purchase sweatshirts for both of us.....96 in Charlotte when we departed, 62 and rainy in Boston when we arrived. The good news is that the week got warmer, and sunnier :)

We did just about every touristy thing we could do in Beantown - tried to eat at local hole in the walls, so that we could soak up the culture. We rode the T (their subway) and walked our little feet off. Proudly, for as much as we ate - and we ate and ate - we gained not one pound, due to the marathon that we walked on a daily basis!

We had a few adventures on our trip - like boarding an Amtrak train bound for NYC - my handy hubby, pulled the emergency brake, got yelled at by the conductor, all the while I was the clueless blonde with tears in her eyes, thankful that "by the grace of God, someone opened the door" - little did I know ;) We walked in circles on the North End trying to find some food, only to find out we were only 3 blocks from where we had started - yes, 4 hours later :)

It was great fun and frolick - so glad we did it, can't wait for our trip in 2 years....wonder what adventures will happen then......

post signature

No comments: