Friday, July 3, 2009

It won't be long now

One would think after 4 years of juggling schedules and being without my kids for a few days/weeks every year, that it would get easier, but I am here to tell you that it doesn't. At first, when I was a single mom, struggling to keep it all together for me and for them, I welcomed the weekends when they would go to their father's house. Now I cry when they drive down the road, I pray for their safety in the car, and I long for their return.

As they get older and the time with them seems to be slipping away, I absolutely dread their trips. I miss their voices, their smells, their energy...everything. Sure, it is wonderful to have uninterrupted time with Jim, and it is a good way to recharge our batteries as a couple, but after day 2, we both look at each other and wonder what the kids are doing.....

They have been gone for almost 2 weeks, their first stint this summer. They will be home for 13 glorious days, and then gone again for 14. I think so often we as parents get caught up in the day to day, and in the frustrations of life, that we don't sit back to appreciate the time we have with our kids. Mine aren't getting any younger and I rue the day that they will be gone from my home. Maybe this is God's way of preparing me in short bits for the future, so I won't be so devastated when that day comes and I am driving away from their college campus (sigh).

Hug your babies today extra tight, thank God for their health and happiness....you can bet I'll be doing the same Sunday afternoon.

post signature

1 comment:

Marie Marsicano said...

Heather,

This is an AWESOME post!!! You know Colleen goes through the same emotions.

For me, my kids love to go, go, go. Whether it is to stay at Colly's for the weekend. Or just around the corner to Aunt Regina's for a sleepover. They go to our friends in New Bern for a week in the summer and also the beach with my mom. WE send them to the beach to have some fun in the summer when they are working, but even with work and house projects the house is very empty without them.

Joe and I could be on our own vacation in a beautiful tropical place and we are still talking about them!!! We too love the alone time - but not so much of it.