Thursday, December 2, 2010

Honor

This past Sunday, we had the privilege of having John Brevere speak at our church on the subject of Honor. He has written a book on the subject and was a wealth of knowledge and eye-opening on this topic. All week, I have been having sermon flashbacks on the subject, all the while thinking about who I need to honor in my life.

He made it very clear how here in America, we aren't very honoring of God. We treat it as a concept of convenience, much like everything else in our culture. Yet, how there are droves of people in third world countries that are so honoring of God, that they are healed in mass of their blindness, cured of their sicknesses, yet in the US, we only seem to see headaches or back aches cured. II John is a book on honor, where Jesus went to his homeland, and said that he could do no good there. Basically, because the people saw him as the guy who built his kitchen table (carpenter), or the son of our friend Mary down the street, they didn't see him as anything of great honor. Did I mention how eye-opening this sermon was??

We are called to honor our mother and father, that it is everywhere in the Bible, and as a commandment, more important than do not murder, or commit adultery. He talked about how after that we are to honor those who are entrusted to us, for that is where the greatest reward will come from above. He also talks about honoring our authority figures - civil, family, social and church.

When I hear words like honor and reward, I think critics hear kissing up and prizes.....how very typical......where actually it is more respect leads to greater things. Just because you honor someone in your life, doesn't mean your are kissing their butt. I have more than once sent my boss an email, out of the blue to encourage her and lift her up. She has one heck of a tough job, and no, she isn't perfect, but she is an authority figure in my life, and she deserves my honor and respect. I don't do it so that she'll treat me differently, even though that would be the perception if anyone knew, I'm sure. I do it because it's the right thing to do.

All week, I have been thinking of people in my life that need honor......they might just get a little surprise this holiday season, nothing big, just a gesture to know that I am thinking of them and truly are grateful for their existence. Who do you need to honor today? Think about it.
post signature

No comments: