Today, was one of those moments, and I had to share......this morning, we attended church, at our new campus in Blakeney. Our pastor preached a sermon about how we are only one generation away from change or extinction. The verse he used was a familiar one, Ephesians 3:20, but it rang true in a different way today...maybe because he was speaking to the next generation...to my children and their friends.
He wanted to share some points that he wanted the students to be the focus, here are two that I thought hit home in a big way:
Point # 1 - Practice Selective Hearing, his premise being "Right voices lead to right choices" and how so often in our lives the negative paths that we have been lead down, all started with the phrase, "Well, I had this friend". How true!?!?! He went on to let the students know that their friends are stupid, and that they should listen to their parents.....because not only have they lived more life than your precious friend, but because they love you, and this so-called friend, probably won't be in your life in 5 years. Classic. So often, I heard this from my own parents growing up, but if we are honest, does any kid really listen to their parents? But, a coach, teacher, or pastor says it, and by golly they tune right in......if only I had listened more......
Point # 2 - Find your Sound, and Play it Loud - a call to be unique. My favorite line was, "Why do we mass produce mediocrity in our society?". Growing up, my mom used to ALWAYS say things to me like, "If that is the IN crowd, then I am glad I am OUT", or "Why do you want to see yourself coming down the hall?" Her premise was to be unique and to embrace being myself. From the outfit on my back to the character I possessed. I have tried to give my children the same sort of confidence in themselves, and to embrace their unique spirits. I hope that Jim and I are showing and guiding them in the same ways daily, that being the exception to the rule is waaaayyy better than being a part of the crowd.
He ended the sermon by having every student in the room stand to their feet. He prayed over them, that they would seek to be world changers in their generation, that the world would see them as different, and that they would stand out in a crowd for all the right reasons. Yeah, I was brought to tears, who wouldn't have been? I watched Jordan stand among 200 other students, and it was incredibly powerful to say the least.
To say that living in Charlotte, or having the priviledge to attend Elevation Church is a blessing would be an understatement. Our family and my children are richly, richly blessed, and I hope that we will take part in making a difference in our city and in the world in the years to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment