Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sun Stand Still

Yesterday, our pastor released his first book. I believe it will be the first of many to come. As a church we had the opportunity to purchase it early, so of course I did and began reading it. It chronicles his life, his calling from God at age 16 and the life of our church. It's so much more than that though, in that he bases the entire book on Joshua 10:7-14 where Joshua and his men prepare for battle, and Joshua in earnest faith asks God to make the sun stand still, and He does it. Not because He thought the world needed to see one more miracle, but because of Joshua's faith. His audacious faith, to believe God for the impossible.

Pastor Steven asked us to look at the peaks and valleys in our lives, to look at our past, to recognize where God has moved mountains for us, and performed the impossible. He has challenged us to start praying differently. To pray with audacious faith and to believe that God will provide.....even though the task put before Him may seem impossible to us mortal humans.

I have a past SSS prayer that I can share....in the summer of 2005-spring 2006, in and through my divorce I prayed steadfastly everyday for a man to share the rest of my life with moving forward. I had been taught long ago by a wise BSF leader named Kerri to pray specifically. She used to say, "how do you expect God to know what you want, if you can't give Him the details?" So, I made a list, in my mind and on paper of the type of man I wanted God to bring me.

Here is what the list read:
~ A man that loves me for all of my good and bad points
~ A man that loves my children like he was meant to be theirs in the first place
~ A man that was older and more mature than me
~ A man that loved to cook, or was willing to learn
~ A man that would be willing to share the load (chore wise)
~ A man that would support my career aspirations
~ A man that had never been married and didn't have any baggage
~ A man who loved God
~ A man who would teach me new things, and would want to be taught new things too

There were a few more points on the list....sense of humor, financial stability, one that shall remain "post less" as there may be little eyes reading this....anyway, I digress. Bottom line, is who but God could have chosen for me a man that possessed all of these qualifications?!?! Even I figured an older man with no ex-wife and baggage was the biggest stretch of all. But look at how God made my SSS? If you know Jim, or my story about him, you are reading this with your mouth wide open as he is the answer to my SSS prayer, before I even knew such a thing existed.

Going forward, I have some new SSS prayers in the making. I know that it might take time for them to come to reality, but I now know that I can pray them with authority and dare to ask God to do the impossible. I'll keep them between me and Him, and I'll keep you posted as they are answered, sound good to you?

post signature

No comments: