Monday, August 2, 2010

Words can make all the difference

Growing up, I was not a big fan of vocabulary.....I despised the exercises of writing them out in the little book we had, I didn't look up all of the definitions and quite often would procrastinate until walking into class to do this work. Sorry Mom and Dad if you are reading this, and Lord help me if the kids ever read this one. I grew up in a house where words, phrases and songs were used instead of the real thing. The one that still rings true today for my Mom and Aunt Wendy would be, "Heh, gleh, hensy beh" and it is expressed in a sing-songy type of way. It basically means "Hello, how are you?" But, to the outside world, we sound like people from another planet that have no real language :) As the years progressed, however, I needed to use some "big girl words" and I became a lover of vocabulary.

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say I have the world's finest vocab, but I do try to use words to express my feelings that you just don't hear everyday. Like instead of saying she's got spunk, I say, she's got MOXIE. If someone is looking down, I ask why they are MELANCHOLY. It wasn't until a few days ago when a friend at work started giggling while I was talking to her. I stopped, mid-sentence to find out why.....she simply said, "You just have the greatest vocabulary!" I took that as a compliment, smiled and went about my business.

To a fault, I have found that I can be a little bit of a vocab snob. I am not proud of this, but it pains me, and makes me twitch, to hear words come out of people's mouths that I just don't think exist....for example, VOMICKING, sorry, not a word, it's VOMITTING. Oh, and by the way, there are some words that I I loathe, number one? MOIST. {Shiver}

I would love to know what words you pepper your sentences with that make people stop and think the same of you, and if you don't have words to insert, think of one this week. You might just find out how fun it is :)
post signature

1 comment:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

This is SO FUNNY to me. Here is my confession: Sometimes when we have cinversations, I have to google words that you use because I'm not sure what they mean!!! HOW HILARIOUS IS THAT!!!! I still love you though. My BIGGEST irritation in the world-ain't!