Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Old School

I have never felt in my life that I have a faith that is "old school". My faith over the years has waxed and waned, but even in the low points, I always knew that God was watching out for me....maybe it was because I was reaching for Him more than I do in the high points. Lately, I have learned so much to praise Him in the highs and the lows.

Saturday night, our church, Elevation, opened it's first permanent campus. Prior to this we were meeting in high school auditoriums and a theater downtown. Jim surprised me by spontaneously saying, let's go tonight. I was so excited to go to the grand opening I could hardly contain myself. Little did I know the emotion I would feel when I walked in the room.

Have you ever been so overcome by the Holy Spirit that you are lead to tears that don't stop? Well, if you ever do, you will know where I was Saturday night. Funny thing is, I never saw it coming. Our pastor and his wife were on stage, clearly fighting back the tears, and the flood gates opened for me. They thanked God for his provision, answers to prayer and gave Him all the glory. At that moment, the last 5 years of my life flashed before me.......God was so gracious to me in my darkest hour, He provided for my every need, and those of my children, He answered prayer and cleared the way, that we would have hope. Had it not been for all that He had done, I wouldn't have been standing in that place on that night with my children and my gift, Jim.

Pastor Steven then preached an amazing sermon about Old School Faith - where those that have this type of faith believe that God can - expect that He will - and trust Him even if He doesn't. I was raised understanding this, and having a peace about things that happen in life, but so often I forget my roots and what I know to be true faith in Him.

Thank you God, and Elevation for changing my life everyday!


post signature

2 comments:

Marie Marsicano said...

Heather,

I was so happy to be sitting behind your family. I loved watching the 4 of you, seeing you so happy and especially seeing Jim and Madison together.

God has blessed you and your children with Jim. As Colleen's sister I know how much that means.

I pray that he continues to bless all of you.

With love,
Marie

Melissa said...

Heather, First, I had no idea you had a blog - so glad I can follow along now & update Matt! Second, our church is modeled after Elevation church - what a crazy small world - we LOVE your church & pastor!! Congrats on all that is going on in your life. Can't wait to read up!